Classic Victoria Sponge
Everyone’s favourite, suitable for all occasions.
Tags: afternoon tea, summer, Alfresco, party
305 k/cals per serving
Frylight Cooking Spray
225g butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
225g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
225g self-raising flour
2 tbsp Milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Spray 2 cake tins (2 x 18cm/7in) with Frylight covering the surfaces.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little extra milk if necessary, to create a batter with a soft dropping consistency.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins and gently spread out with a spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes, then tip out on to a wire rack to cool.
- Sandwich the cakes together with jam and buttercream or freshly whipped cream and sprinkle with icing sugar on top.